Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Piano

The piano has, I believe, 88 keys, of which 36 are black, and the remaining 52 are white. I ought to know because I have a piano and am capable of counting. So far as I know, the piano makes music by depressing a key which in turn levers a mallet into striking a wire at a particular tension, length and thickness to produce a note. Strike the correct keys in the correct squence with proper timing, and viola, Music! I am sure some members of my audience can (I almost said "can also") play this instrument, and I am certain they are rather good at it.

I took my first lesson last week, and discovered how hard it is. Not that I did not already know, or at least suspect. I will provide an example:

Music has what are known as scales, and a basic piano exercise is to play a scale from one key (called C) to the next key to the right also labled C (8 keys, if memory serves) And then back down. And I am incapable of this. I just cannot do it. I can eventually, yes, but I cannotdo it timely or well. It is, I assume, so easy for a lot of people. I bet a lot of people get it right off the bat. I do not.

I will not quit this or anything else, but I think with years of practice, I may, just may be able to go "C--D-E-F-G-A-B-C/C-B-A-G-F-E-D-C"

When that happens, I hope my instructor can play the hallelujah chorus.

(Self-mockery, though it may present the image of a hopeless individual, is, I find, a very useful tool at putting life in perspective.)

Do you have anything you find very difficult but intend to stick with? Please share below! : )

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I didn't know how many keys there are in piano. Now I know. Thanks Jimmy :)

    ReplyDelete