Friday, June 15, 2012

An interesting hobby

I admit it, I have a problem: I save everything. Seriously, it is really hard to get me to throw away anything.  I keep wacky things, like train timetables and bus schedules and pieces of paper that I filled out in my first year of school. Behind my closet door there is a pile of travel brochures, photographs, baseball scoresheets and other random junk that accumulates.

but I have a rule:

When the pile falls over, it's clearing time: The pile is placed in the center of my room, and the bottom drawer of my roll-top desk is pulled out. Items that are placed on the drawer are safe until the next thinning. All other items go in the wastebasket, but every item is examined before it meets its end. It is amazing what you can find out about yourself from two years of your garbage.

Take for example the most recent clearing, today's.  I discovered:
  1. I used to have a crush on a girl that I wrote and never sent a love letter to. (now I have no idea who she is) = thrown away
  2. I have a Swedish newspaper. I do not speak any Swedish. I did not know what "pris 20 kronor del A" meant, until I figured it out. So I really accidentaly stole a Swedish newspaper. I am not proud of that. = Keep.  I could not steal something and then casually toss it, it serves as a reminder now.
  3. I used to be really good at drawing boats! = keep
  4. I did a lot of homework two years ago = do you have to ask?
  5. I seem to like montana golf brochures. = thrown away
  6. I am good at scorekeeping baseball. = sheets thrown away, after rereading
  7. My handwriting 8 years ago is awful. = All examples thrown away
  8. My name was once in a newspaper clipping. Misspelled. Whatever. = Keep, it is the only time that ever happened
  9. I went to LA once on a plane and saved the boarding pass = keep (good for pranks later)
  10. I have an Aku Ankka comic book, in Finnish. Remember the Swedish paper? The "I cannot read it" still applies. But I did not steal it! = Keep, it was a gift from a dear friend of mine.
  11. Look! My passport! How in the he--?  = KEEP

The pile, about halfway done (which is about when I stop)
That's only the start! But mostly, the papers are boring and easily fall into the toss catagory. It seems so odd that at one point something was worth keeping, but then it was no longer so. Oh well.

So I pose it to you my dear readers, do you have a funny nuance such as my pile? Perhaps some strange habit or obsession?
Comment, I would love to hear about it.

heippa

No comments:

Post a Comment