Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Sunnuntaina Olin Mormoni

The title of this post is in Finnish, to honor a friend of mine, Susanna Koivisto. I have talked to her many times about her religious beliefs, and after awhile I decided in her honor I would attend a Mormon congregation on a Sunday.

Suski later told me this is called a "Sacrament meeting"


So I arrived and walked in and there were people singing a hymn, for I was a little late. "Welcome Welcome Sabbath Morning" #280. All of that day's hymn numbers were displayed behind the pulpit on a board. Upon the conclusion of that song, A man appeared at the pulpit (which automatically accommodated his height) and informed us of what was going on in the Centerville Ward of the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter-Day Saints. He informed us that the schedule for cleaning the temple was on the back of our agendas, and so it was so.

We then proceeded to sing the Sacrament Hymn, "Father in Heaven, We Believe" #180  and my friend Colton who had invited me to come, administered the Sacrament to a group of people who had risen for the purpose, and proceeded to circulate it among the congregation. The Sacrament itself was a small bit of bread and water, I will ask Suski what each represents.

The sermon today was on Tithing and its importance; there were two speakers on this topic. One man told a story of a woman who would not shake her missionary's hand until she had paid tithing, even though she was blind and crippled. The other man told a parable about how when we run out of time on this earth (and thus he began to cry) that tithing is one important way to demonstrate faith.

After this was over with we sang one more time, #85 "How Firm A foundation" Before the congregation adjourned. Colton advised me to leave before the 2 hours of something which he said was boring, he himself had something to do that day elsewhere.

What exactly does it all mean? I do not know. Part of me would like to convert, part of me is fascinated, part of me likes to watch but isn't sure what to do about it. However, dear readers, Anyone can pretend to be a Mormon for a day, they are nice folks. I now know this firsthand

2 comments:

  1. The coolest thing ever! And nice post! Btw it's mormoni, not mormini! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you tell me what the bread and the water are for? :)
      (I will change Mormini)

      Delete