Wednesday, November 21, 2012

How to Make a Hat Box

This Blog has been "published" under two separate names. Old-timers and longstanding fans (if I had more than Susanna Koivisto; http://susanna-behindmyeyes.blogspot.com/ , excellent blog, jos puhut suomea, she has even more) will remember the original name, "Seriffitähti" wich I changed to "The Hat Box" in an attempt to boost readership. (This did not work)  So today a special treat, part one of "Making a Hat Box" which I actually set about doing. That's right I am MAKING A HAT BOX! It's a gift/exchange item/favor/ I dunno... but here we go, step by step:


  1. A box needs a base and a lid first
Get out your compass and get ready for some greometric constructions! An octagon, in this case.
I settled on an octagon, but an irregular one. in this case composed of two octagons about a quarter inch apart, expanded to fill the entire 13"x14" specification I had used.
Finally, cut them out... cut one and use it as a stencil for the other. I used a bandsaw because let's face it, it's easier.

2. Measure and cut the walls of the box... this is made much easier with a tablesaw.


Ear muffs, Eye protection, and a lot of care. (No I did not use the mitre with the fence (That's bad))

How to mount the wall to the base.

3. Lining : I used (cheated) with 3M spray adheisive and this weird red fabric:

Pre and post lining

And there is all the work I could do in a day. Tomorrow I will fill in the iperfections, sand, and then maybe appy the first coat of paint. See you then!


No comments:

Post a Comment